Whats The Point?

Whats the point, you might ask if you were Chinese. Whats the point of going to a Chinese restaurant that doesn't serve pork? I'll have to say, because when you take pork out of the equation, you'll more likely try many, many, many other dishes. I've only heard good things from friends who have been to Maju Palace. Last Saturday, I found myself feeling somewhat car sick driving up the very tight circular ramp at Maju Junction that led to the restaurant. I was expecting to find a restaurant full of non-Chinese. How wrong was I? Not only was the restaurant full of Chinese, it was a full blown wedding with karaoke! After standing around like a jilted lover for about 5 minutes, I finally got hold of a waitress and was led to a room where my friends were waiting. It was a miserable looking room. There was only one other table occupied and I think they were staff. My friends had already ordered. We had fried tofu with chilli sauce and pickled mango & cucumber, lamb cutlets, steamed cod, crab fried with salted egg yolk, stir-fried vegetables and mushrooms stir-fried with some sort of clam.

The pickled mango and cucumber made the tofu dish special. Otherwise it would've been just pan-fried tofu treading water in an ocean of diluted Lingham's. I never like ordering lamb or beef at Chinese restaurants simply because they always put so much tenderiser in the meat. The lamb cutlet was very tasty, with a hint of pepper and honey but the texture was like tofu. The two best dishes were the crab with salted egg yolk and steamed cod. The crab has a crispy coat of salted egg that was both sweet and salty at the same time, and the texture was fresh and springy. I am yet to have bad steamed cod at a Chinese restaurant. This slab of white marble cod was moist, flakey and delicious with cilantro. We ordered two desserts to share. One was black sesame ice cream and the other, glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with black sesame in ginger water. The ice cream was terrible! It was cheap vanilla ice cream with roughly chopped black sesame seeds thrown in and refrozen. The rice dumplings were much better. Alot of sesame but the dough was a little too thick and the ginger water was barely lukewarm.

All in all it was a good meal. However, the bill came up to over RM90 each for the five of us. I thought that was very high considering a) I've been to canteens with more ambience and b) there were only 2 seafood dishes. Unfortunately I do not have the bill. If we paid RM200 for cod and ONE crab, that still leaves RM260 for tofu, vegetables, lamb, dessert and tea. I know this is part of the Noble House group but they can't expect to charge the same prices. At least Noble House has a faux Frangipani-type pseudo ambience. What does Maju Palace have?

Comments

  1. Wow, that's pretty steep. It would be interesting to find out the breakdown. Thanks for the review. At least now I know what not to order. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. maju palace got PALACE name wor, dont play play. want to eat in palace must pay palatial prices lor. don't forget the whole nation's database is there too, as JPN is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha FatBoy! Ya lah, I guess the plus point would be that you can eat there while you wait for your IC!

    Lemongrass - my wallet still hurting! Sigh... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. U even sounded like a jilted lover but the pictures look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures looks really good although your description of the ice cream doesn't sound great! I hate paying a lot of money for food that isn't as good as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pssssst, must pay premium mah since Halal sticker don't come cheap nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tummythoz, how did you know I was left at the altar?! Sob!
    Freya & Paul, you hit the nail on the head. I just expect more for those kind of prices.
    Boo_licious, I'm not going back again. Couple of nice dishes but not enough wow factor to pull me away from non-halal Chinese!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts