Status Quo


Can someone tell me what happened to January, February and March? How can we be in April already?! It just isn't possible and yet here we are. The Standard Chartered Marathon is looming ever closer and I still can't break through the 3km mark. I'm not sure whether its psychological but every time I hit 3km, my legs tell my brain, "I don't wanna do this anymoreee!". Well, it is an improvement from running for only 2 minutes in January I guess. I've been running around KLCC park once a week for 3 consecutive weeks already. Its actually quite pleasant in the mornings. Its nice to get some (semi)fresh air and people watch. The kwai lohs doing their morning run before heading off to work at 8. The group of kwai pohs power walking to the latest gossip. Men who shouldn't be in yellow lycra wearing yellow lycra and a t-shirt that doesn't cover what it should. Super fit elderly people that make me feel both slightly embarassed and inspired. And while I go round and round the track, I picture Bald Eagle and Ciki next to me, telling me "com'on, com'on". And thats great, but then I automatically think about LL and Ciki's blog and so I get hungry. When it comes to exercise, I am like a 4 year old - the first 5 minutes is fun, after that, next!  

Ironically, I've actually put on weight from all this exercise. I feel healthier but heavier. Must be all that muscle eh. The truth is, its from eating. Exercise makes me hungry! Doesn't help that there was 2 weeks worth of baking when I was trying out recipes and overdosed on frosting. I can't help myself, if I see a bowl of frosting I need to dip my fingers in there. I'm happy to say, the experimentation went well and I no longer feel any desire to eat cake! Ever! After days and nights of eating out, I decided to make a simple and healthy meal forHunky and I. Mee sua with Hong Kong kai lan and homemade meat balls. The meatballs obviously did not have the springy and doughy texture of the ones in the stalls but I prefer it this way. I like knowing what goes into my meatball. Finely chopped ginger, garlic, onions and water chestnut. They were perfect! Just what I needed. To finish off the dish, some deep fried garlic. Of course this meal would not have materialised if it wasn't for the delicious chicken broth which was bestowed upon me by my dearest Mum. Mum who once told me very seriously (imagine it in Cantonese, the effect is better), "I'm telling you, you better not be anorexic!" Um, is it any wonder why I am so delusional? 

Comments

  1. good job on starting your SCKLM training :) don't give up...you still have 77 days more to train up! i'm attempting my first ever half marathon after running on and off for a year...blogging about my journey there too altho LL says i should blog about everything and not just good. Ditto for Hairy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so used to store-bought meatballs, the other day when I was comtemplating whether to give the kids chee yoke yuen fun, I thought my usual thoughts, "Is this healthy?", while staring at my homemade meatballs, totally forgetting that I just made a fresh batch!! :P

    BTW, I did your buttercream - it was delish, but still a teeny bit grainy. Then I found another white choc buttercream, and it had the right silky texture I was looking for! I suppose the Italian buttercream with melted sugar should not have any graininess, so I'll try that out. Once I get a candy thermometer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this com'on com'on is so mild. A whiff of Bald Eagle's fart will get you running at top speed around the track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaargh only 77 days?! Aaaarghhhhhh ;-)

    Haha GFAD. I do that sometimes. I have food in the freezer that I've completely forgotten about. That reminds me, I really should buy a microwave soon. Good luck on your quest with the butter cream! White chocolate huh? Is it very sweet?

    Eeeewwww over-share LL! Over-share!! Great, now I'll be imagining pong instead! Thanks LL, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cannot relate to that experience any better... its worse when its on the treadmill.. u just switch off after 3km..so u r not alone..

    ReplyDelete
  6. paprika - may i ask what distance you're doing? the 10, half or full?

    don't worry...kah yau, kah yau :) ciki and i will be there too, so you won't be alone! and if you can't run, just walk. i had 3 friends at the orange run today and they ran for 1km and walked the rest...the important this is being at the start and finishing line :)

    joe - that's why i never do treadmills...run on the road so there's no switch to turn off :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Joe! Sigh, it would certainly help if there were some hotties at the gym. ;-p

    Yin, only 10km. My first one. I don't want my knee caps to disintegrate entirely! haha. Yea, I figured I would just jog for as much as I can and then walk the rest of the way. You guys wait for me at the finish line then we go for makan k? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, what fun, the first 10km race is always memorable :)

    and you're gonna finish faster than both of us lahhh...yours 10km, ours 21 :P so you'll definitely be faster :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look FINE! eh, that cake was superb.. when can i bring cumi visit.. :P hugs (PS - bila nak lari)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LL! you dare talk.. i fart on u then you know.. FFK me on the walk.. pfft.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. 10km??? wow..good luck!

    im working towards doing 5km comfortably..in 35mins..

    ReplyDelete
  12. all you need is motivation. imagine a slab of smoking hot siew yoke waiting for you at the finishing line. you know you want it. now go for it! it helps too if u can imagine the aroma that comes with it...

    gosh, now i'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh thanks for adding the pressure Yin! What if you guys actually finish first? hahahha

    Ciki I cannot keep up with you lah. It would be like a turtle running after a gazelle! Yes LL come walk with me laaaaahhhhhh. I smell good and I don't fart. Promise :-)

    Joe, 35 mins? Com'on when I was yourrrr age.. heh heh

    Nic you are so evillllll. Evillllllll. Hey can you run with me and dangle the char siu infront of me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No pressure, no pressure! chill, that's what i tell all my running mates :) just have fun, don't worry too much about your timing...soak in the pesta ria atmosphere and just look forward to that Milo Ais after the race!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muscle does weigh more than fat.. you're fine :P Run more often!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Where did those 3 months go??? Argh...

    2. I should prolly take up running too. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts