Meng Kee

Don't mess with Aunty with the cleaver. Look how well seasoned that chopping board is.

Its been a long time since I've indulged in a bit of char siu. By that I mean about three months I reckon. Ever since I moved to my new place finding good Chinese food here is like looking for a straight man in a gay bar. So when my good friends Ding & Dong wanted to have char siu I was only too happy to oblige. Meng Kee is not my usual char siu place. I usually frequent Aunty at Jalan Angsoka/Bedara because she has a small but good selection of vegetables to go with the greasy, artery-clogging stuff. This place is heaving at lunch time so its really best to dodge the boss and head off for lunch before noon. And then there are the louts who "assist" with parking spaces. Hard to dodge those. At the end of the day its all worth it. The char siu is just as tender and moist as I remember, with just the right amount of caramelised bits around the edges. However you don't get much bang for your buck these days. Its RM8 for a portion of char siu rice and really, there is hardly any char siu. I'm going to make a guesstimation and say its about 100g worth. But then again, you can't really put a price on good char siu can you? If you haven't been to Meng Kee, you must've been living under a rock. Old post on char siu

Meng Kee - open for lunch, Mon to Sat. Jalan Tengkat Tong Shin, opposite Number Eight Guestohouse.

Marathon Update: I can't believe its almost here! 3 weeks away and I've only broken 5km. My knees are not making it any easier. Do or die, I want to complete 7km sometime this week. And thanks to Hunky, we didn't get to register in time! So now we'll be masquerading as his colleagues who have dropped out. Do I look like a Richard or a Fuad?

Comments

  1. one can never have too much good charsiew! just like one can never run for too long.. esp whn the marathon is coming up! (btw, they dont check id on that day so no sweat la.. just run by proxy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, this stall makes my teeth ache due to the sweetness AND price. =(

    Richard a/p Fuad? =P Have a speedilicious run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have no idea where the run starts for me! Or do we all start from the same point just at diff times?? Have you been running in the haze? I'm hoping for a big thunderstorm tonight so I can go running tomorrow morning.

    Tummythoz - goodlah. Save money and trip to dentist! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still haven't have chance to try here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you can pull off a Fuad! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries lar, I believe a lot of peeps running as Fuad's or Richard's. Hahaha ;) I oso have not been to Meng Kee lar :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I wonder if one can get a certificate in char siew slicing? Maybe from the makers of those fine Kill Bill blades... :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good serving of char siew, I've discovered, is a rare find. I'd keep this stall in mind whenever I have super cravings for char siew

    ReplyDelete
  9. The moment I came back from Melbourne, I went over to Meng Kee for Char Siu. Glorious piece of meat I tell you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts