Chilli For Rainy Days


Monsoon season officially started in November and it has been raining almost everyday. This kind of weather just makes me want to curl up on the sofa, watch Netflix with a hot bowl of stewy-soupy concoction in my lap. I've made Jamie Oliver's smoky chilli before and I love it. I don't char the vegetables because I'm just too lazy and honestly, it doesn't really need it unless you like that charred taste. You could serve this with cauliflower rice or sweet potato mash but I added potatoes in the chilli so it was a complete meal on its own. Hearty, filling and packed with plant-based protein.

I added some flageolet beans because I found them on discount at Cold Storage. RM2.99 for 500gm bag! They don't take long to cook at all. Use any bean that you like but try to use dry ones as they soak up way more flavour without turning into mush. For the black beans, I usually soak a 500gm bag overnight or for at least 6 hours before boiling them in the water they have been soaking in with some salt or vegetable stock granules for about 2 hours. I pack what I don't use into smaller containers (without the liquid) and store them in the freezer. They keep well and don't lose their texture or flavour.

400gm black beans, precooked
200gm flageolet beans, precooked
olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 onion diced
2 stalks celery (optional, I had them in the fridge so I tossed them in)
1-2 carrots, cut into half moons
2 x 400gm tinned tomatoes 
6-8 small potatoes, washed and quartered
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tbls unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
1 heaped tbls peanut butter
fresh red chillies according to how spicy you want it
salt to taste

vegetables to be added on later
2 zucchinis
bunch of kale (I had them in the fridge but you can use spinach or another dark leafy veg)
300gm mushroom
3-4 peppers 

Heat a large cast-iron pot or heavy bottomed pot on medium heat. Add 3-4 tablespoon oil. Saute the onions and garlic until soft, add the celery and carrots. Saute for a few minutes before adding the cumin, paprika, cocoa powder and peanut butter. Mix well and add in the tinned tomatoes. Fill the tin with water and add that into the pot too. Finally tip in the potato and beans, turn down the heat and let it simmer for a few hours with lid on. I made this a day in advance to let the flavours develop. 

When you are ready to eat, heat up the pot. When it is simmering, add in zucchini, mushrooms and peppers. When those are ready (about 5 minutes), I stir through the kale and turn of the heat. Delicious on its own! This recipe serves 4 adults, feeds more if you are serving it with side of carbs.

Comments

Popular Posts