Happy New Year!
Looking back, 2010 in food shots. Left to right from top:
1. Towards the end of my pregnancy I had serious cravings for ice kacang. This was from my favourite cheap and cheerful restaurant Suka at One Residency (Jalan Nagasari).
2. Succuling pig in Ipoh - my parent's hometown and pure evil to the waistline
3. You know I can't resist fried beehoon! This one was from a teochew restaurant along Jalan Pahang. Eventhough it looks rather anaemic but its very delicious and aromatic thanks copious amounts of salted fish and pork lard.
4. My all time favourite tiramisu cake from Alexis but alas, 2010 marked the year of a definite downturn in quality. I hereby announce I will no longer be eating this cake anymore after several very disappointing visits in 2010.
5. The best ramen I've had in a long time! Marutama Ramen in Fahrenheit 88. O-M-G! Have you ever tasted anything so buttery?! Its like butter broth. Farck! How can it go wrong really?!
6. Strolling along the aisles in Selfridges, Hunky and I spotted Baconnaise! Sounds wrong but you know you get in there with a spoon.
7. Red velvet cake - this decade's tiramisu?
8. The magical world of Heston Blumenthal. The most unforgettable meal of 2010.
9. Pregnancy cravings once more at The Daily Grind. Chicken maryland! Fried chicken with onion gravy, grilled bananas, coleslaw and cornbread. Is that a complete meal of what?!
10. Lots of baking done in 2010 - will I have time now that the bun is out of the oven?
11. Roast pork at Yut Kee - love my weekend brunches here.
12. My last holiday for a looong time I think. "Chan village noodles" in Shenzen. Moreish! Who needs to shop when you can eat all day?!
Wow! I know I say this every year but really, 2010 really went by in a flash. It was made even more apparent because I was pregnant. I remember the denial and shock when I first found out and the next thing I knew I was waddling and peeing every 15 minutes and then pop! Welcome baby! Seriously, I want to apply the brakes because I want to savour every minute which seems to fly by like nanoseconds. And here I am, the last day of confinement (wheeee!) and baby is almost a month old. 2010 was a ride. It was fun, a little scary for the fainthearted (me) and exciting. I really truly feel blessed. I am so thankful for my friends who have provided me with laughter and comfort. For my husband who makes me laugh and makes me feel safe, gorgeous, loved and adored (thank you for not running away during the hormonal days!). For my family who irritate the hell out of me sometimes but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Heres to 2011! Wishing all of us a year of discovery, peace, friendship, deliciousness, love and laughter! Happy new year!