Good vs Bad

I’m not really a big ice cream fan. I’d rather eat chocolate and cakes over ice cream. However, I do remember being really crazy about orange sherbet at the ice cream stand at the original supermarket at The Weld. I must've been about 5? Obviously, this fascination of orange sherbet carried on for a few years because I had a scoop everytime mum took me to Swensen's at Yow Chuan Plaza. I think the colour really appealed to me as a child. Pastel orange icy sorbet, sweet, tangy and it always left a coat of sticky sweetness in the back of my throat.

I do enjoy gelatos over ice cream. It leaves me feeling satisfied without the guilt trip. Speaking of which, if you want to have a quick fix, head down to McD's for a hot fudge sundae. Before you start shaking your head in disgust, hear me out. I'm not some McD fanatic. Its available almost everywhere so you never need to go very far (you know, especially with the raised price of petrol) and it cost less than RM3.00. Thats more than RM5 cheaper than one scoop of Haagen Daz. And being the meticulous (ok, maybe just kiasu) Virgo that I am, I have a calorie comparison below:

Hot Fudge Sundae/Haagen Daz Vanilla
serving size 179g/106g
total calories 330/ 270
calories from fat 80/160
total fat 9g/18g
saturated fat 6g/11g

But if I were to compare it in terms of what its going to do to my body in the long run... Ingredients for hot fudge sundae: Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. As opposed to just cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, natural vanilla. So do I eat what is better for my weight loss program or have the one that is ultimately better for health. Fudge! I'll go with the weight loss. I eat enough organic vege during my meals to balance out all the other chemicals and genetically modified bits.

Comments

Popular Posts